When talking about the economy it is important to make the distinction between the issues that exists on the macro level and those that exist on a more micro level. Both levels must be targeted if we are going to effectively right the economic flaws and issues that currently exist.
First, let examine the primary issues at the macro level. They range from unpredictability of the government in setting fiscal policy and budgets, to the recent financial meltdown caused by the housing bubble, to the volatility of the Asian markets, strife in Middle East, and financials struggles in the European Union. All of these are highly complex issues that cannot be completely solved through economic actions.
I believe we need to grow our economy and individuals, both stateside and internationally through:
- Charting the financial course of this country, by returning to the comprehensive budgeting system.
- Negotiating favorable trade agreements, without sacrificing the individual worker or American Industry.
- Leading the effort to promote peace, stability, human rights, and democracy throughout the world.
Looking now at a more micro level in the state of North Carolina, we can easily see the effects of the macro level reflected in the uncertainty of consumer confidence. This has been exacerbated by ever-increasing regulations that stifle small businesses such as, the lack of access to capital for growing businesses, the unemployment rates in the workforce, and the increasing costs of higher education and medical care.
My solutions for North Carolina micro level economic issues include:
- Broaden access to capital for small businesses through a variety of ways, stimulating growth in the business sector.
- This will create employment opportunities that will reinvigorate the workforce and economy.
- Raise the federal minimum wage and index it for growth like is done for social security.
- Make higher education more affordable and incentivized.
- Tackle the costs of medical care by strengthening and streamlining ACA programs.
This is all simply a start to solving North Carolina’s economy, our nation’s economy, and creating a better tomorrow.
The citizens have entrusted their country’s economy into the hands of Congress and it is about time their trust is rewarded through decisive, balanced, and intelligent actions.